|Alamance County, NC (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Some of the points Ms. Franklin makes in her article include:
- Some states, including Mississippi, still prohibit atheists from holding public office.
- Public professions of religious belief often seem necessary for Southern politicians, and this may have a "trickle-down effect" on atheist residents.
- Minority groups throughout history have faced the challenge of overcoming destructive stereotyping by the majority, and atheists now have this task.
- Atheism is increasing at the national level, but stigma remains problematic in much of the South.
- The Internet has been instrumental in the growth of atheism.
Subscribe to Mississippi Atheists